Saturday, January 5, 2013

Final Blog

This is it. We did it! I am so amazed that Sammy and I managed to pull this off because it was a truly valuable experience. I am thankful that everything worked out even though the beginning was a little bit rocky. The best part about this experience was the feeling of satisfaction that I received every time the kids would learn a new note, or a new song, or even simply tell me how much they love playing their instruments. (I have a new found appreciation for teachers as well). The kids constantly tell me about how our class is their favorite class, and how they keep wanting to play their instrument throughout their school years. The feeling that I receive is really indescribable. The most difficult part of the project was setting up the program because we were inexperienced as teachers and finding a set location and schedule was proven to be difficult. But, all of the contacting and setting up that we had to do payed off because Sammy and I have started up a program at an underprivileged school that will hopefully keep running even after we graduate. We are excited to say that we will keep teaching the program. We are also so excited that people have been contacting us not only for lessons, but to teach as well! It is such a rewarding feeling knowing that people are interested in our program and want to help. We will most likely add new teachers for the next school year, but because we are still in the trial-and-error phase, as of now, Sammy and I are going to keep teaching. This program has proven to be more than a Google Project for school. Instead, it is a program that will hopefully continue to grow in that school in order to teach those who are less fortunate than we are about the importance of music.  

-Jessica Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment